Wednesday 6 March 2013

Time for Departure

We have decided to leave Kate Boats tomorrow to begin our Summer’s Journey.

I have been so eager to be on my way for ages, especially as it has not been such a bad winter after all; the water is greener now in the sunshine and beckons bewitchingly. But having been almost welded to the quay here since the beginning of November I have become very attached and grown very familiar with the little shore side luxuries that are available and that everybody living on the bank takes completely for granted. I have become very soft and therefore suffer this same quandary every year.

For example, when this time arrives, it makes it very difficult for me to disconnect the 240 volts from ashore and return to a twelve volt power system, when for so long I have been used to the kettle boiling after only twenty seconds and my breakfast toast browning just to the right degree in such a short time. It takes so much longer by Calor Gas.

This weakness tempts me always to put off the departure date for just another twenty four hours.

After all it wouldn’t really hurt would it, for just one more day?

However it is something I get over very quickly, for once on my way, I am soon back into the very familiar boating routine and having 240 volts becomes just something that I look forward to next November.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posting that on Saturday night Janis and I walked up to the Collegiate Church of St Mary (the large Queen Anne church) to a concert held there. It was a beautiful evening and the music and weather were both very suitable for the mood which was upon us; relaxed.

 

130302

The concert programme

 

I know nothing of the orchestra that performed, the Orchestra da Camera, but this was the string section only, a beautiful little ensemble of violins, violas, cellos and bass’, which entertained us harmoniously and lyrically with the church organ for a couple of hours or so. There was wine served during the interval and the red was most fruity and tasty. The choice of music was quite well known to me though in some cases I would have been hard pressed to remember the titles, had I just heard the familiar music.

During the last couple of days we have been blessed here with the visit of a large flock of Waxwings, as I mentioned in my earlier posting. But yesterday I actually managed to capture a couple of photos of them too. Not having the powerful lenses and expensive equipment that the ‘twitchers’ had the day before, my shots take a lot to be desired but they are adequate enough, for me anyway, to recognise them for what they are and not mistakenly as Starlings or Doves. I was thrilled. It was the first time I had ever seen Waxwings. The close up picture I managed, by placing my pocket digital snapshot camera behind one of the lenses of my 10x50 binoculars. I am pleased the result has turned out so well. The tufts on the heads of the birds can just vaguely be seen (or imagined anyway)

 

002  Closeup through Binoculars

Waxwings through binoculars

 

001  Waxwing flock

The original photograph

 

And so we are there. Janis is eager to be on the way too and tomorrow hopefully the big adventure will continue.

2 comments:

Ian and Karen said...

Looking forward to following your journeys, hope our waters will cross over the summer.
Karen

Old Salt said...

Thanks Karen.
We're heading south to London after Banbury via Grand Union and then home via Thames and the Oxford.
It would be great to meet you on the way somewhere.
Have a good summer.
Peter